Reflection on 'What is Design' and chapter one of 'Interaction Design - Beyond Human-Computer Interaction'

What is Design?  lecture by Bill Moggridge

Based on this week's assignment, I think I will find the textbook helpful due to the technical information it provides, but will find the videos and articles a better source for concepts and ideas.

I really appreciated the the model of phone call services and the activities presented in the text; I think that they provided a way of thinking about design that I will be able to apply to challenges given in class. The list of roles that emerged as interactions became more complex and required more diverse skills was interesting, I had never heard of an information architect or a usability engineer, but those roles being specialized ones makes a lot of sense.

Bill Moggridge's talk was helpful in that it cemented some concepts that I had a tangential grasp on, as well as pointing out things I had barely considered.  I think my favorite thing he talked about was his iceberg metaphor: that the things that can be consciously taught about design are only the tip of the iceberg, and that most of the learning and understanding happens subconsciously.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Redesigning the FitBit app

Metrics Versus Experience

Glossary of UX terms [ongoing]